As we await Justice Martineau’s decision in the Canadian FATCA trial, we have the response of President Obama and his Department of Justice lawyers. The U.S. Government does NOT like to be sued!
In a fascinating post, Deckard1138 analyzes the “blame the victim” strategy. This is a “must read” post. On a side note, it is becoming apparent that, contrary to the fantasies of DA, remaining a U.S. citizen abroad is no longer an option.
The response from the U.S. Department of Justice lawyers includes:
Plaintiffs seek an extraordinary order that would halt enforcement of several duly enacted statutory provisions, along with associated regulations and implementing international agreements, aimed at curbing offshore tax evasion. The challenged laws are essential to tax enforcement, and the injuries that plaintiffs allege they have suffered as a result of such laws are self-inflicted, speculative, or even illusory. Plaintiffs’ claims for relief fail for lack of Article III standing, are jurisdictionally barred by the Anti-Injunction Act, and are meritless as a matter of well-established constitutional law. The preliminary injunction should be denied because plaintiffs have no likelihood of success on the merits and have no irreparable injury—certainly none to outweigh the great harm that the Government, and public interest in general, would suffer if enforcement of these laws were enjoined.
Here, for your reading pleasure is the complete document.
It’s entirely reasonable that every “FATCA Infected” American citizen should be offended by the response from President Obama’s lawyers. Think of it. Your Obama induced pain and suffering is one or more of:
- ” Self inflicted” – You did this to yourself. You either left the United States or were born to U.S. property outside the United States. YOU brought this upon yourself!!!! You did this to yourself by NOT renouncing citizenship.
- “Speculative” – You haven’t really suffered injury. You are just imagining that you either have or will suffer injury.
- “Illusory” – Finally, you are just dreaming in techocolor. You probably even read the “Isaac Brock Society“. You are only imagining that you can’t have a bank account. You are only imagining that you just received a letter from your bank informing you that you were under suspicion of being an American.
Really, you gotta laugh. These “Obama Lawyers” really are on another planet. Yes, I’m serious. It’s true. I intend to explain this in a separate post. But, for the moment, understand that “Obama Lawyers” still are lawyers. It’s the job of a lawyer (tax lawyers are you paying attention?) to defend the interests of the client. In this case, it’s the job of “Obama Lawyers” to defend the God Given right of the USA to do the “Will of God” and inflict FATCA on the world. So, relax. These lawyers are, well – just being lawyers.
But, remember that …
These disingenuous, scandalous and outrageous, allegations, may be required to set the legal predicate for resisting the injunction.
Speaking of lawyers:
The above tweet references the following
joke reality of lawyers.
Replacing lab rats with lawyers
The National Institute of Health (NIH) announced last week that they were going to start using lawyers instead of rats in their experiments. Naturally, the American Bar Association was outraged and filed suit. Yet, the NIH presented some very good reasons for the switch.
1. The lab assistants were becoming very attached to their little rats. This emotional involvement was interfering with the research being conducted. No such attachment could form for a lawyer.
2. Lawyers breed faster and are in much greater supply.
3. Lawyers are much cheaper to care for and the humanitarian societies won’t jump all over you no matter what you’re studying.
4. There are some things even a rat won’t do.